Certified Municipal Clerk Regions X & XI
The Certified Municipal Clerk program is designed to enhance the job performance of the Clerk in small and large municipalities. To earn the CMC designation, a Municipal Clerk must attend extensive education programs. The CMC designation also requires pertinent experience in a municipality. The CMC program prepares the applicants to meet the challenges of the complex role of the Municipal Clerk by providing them with quality education in partnership with institutions of higher learning, as well as State / Provincial / National Associations. The CMC program has been assisting clerks to excel since 1970.
The following are the requirements for obtaining the CMC designation:
1. Be a Full, Additional Full or Retired member of IIMC. If you are currently an Associate Member, you are encouraged to contact the Education Department to discuss your options.
2. IIMC will only be able to certify you after you have been an active member for two years. Members are encouraged to enroll in the certification program and begin submitting for points even if this membership requirement has not been fulfilled.
3. Affirm and practice the IIMC Code of Ethics - This takes place when you complete your applications
4. Follow the CMC Step By Step Guide (PDF) to begin the application process. This process will outline the two application forms that are required for certification.
5. Attain 60 points in the Education category - Be sure to check out your local Institute program. Institutes are the most efficient way to earn our Education points.
6. Attain 50 points in the Experience category - Don't forget your Letters of Employment Verification! A letter for your current position is required!
All points shall be earned according to the provisions of the IIMC Education Guidelines (PDF).
For additional ways to earn your points, check out the following opportunities:
Education Corner Videos
Be sure to check out the "Education Corner" in the Media Section of the website. These are quick video clips that answer questions regarding the certification process including the following hot topics:
- Facebook Live - All Things CMC - October 2, 2017
- CMC Program Overview
- Two Year Membership Requirement Explained
Need assistance paying for your Institute Program?
MCEF will reimburse you for the cost of your Institute or Academy attendance up to $400. Please visit the Scholarship and Grant page of the website for more information including criteria and applications.
Don't know where to find your local Institute? Find it online
CMC Certification Fees
The total cost of the CMC certification is $125.00. Upon completion of all requirements, applicants will receive a certificate and a lapel pin.
IIMC requires a non-refundable deposit of $50 to complete admission/enrollment in the CMC program. This $50 deposit will be applied to the total cost of $125.00. The remaining balance of $75 may be paid anytime between enrollment and completion of the point requirements.
All fees may be paid in full up front if the applicants wishes.
The following forms are available to assist you with your payments:
- Application for Admission - Please complete this form if you will be paying your initial admission fee online with a credit card.
- Application for Admission (Excel)- Please complete and mail this form along with payment if you will be paying your initial admission fee by check, or would like to mail your payment information in.
- Education Payment Form -Please complete this form if you will be making your final payment using a credit card.
- Education Payment Form (Excel) -Please complete this form and submit it to IIMC Headquarters if you will be submitting a check for your final payment.
Most Frequently Used Documents
The most frequently used CMC documents all in one place for your convenience!
- NEW! CMC Certification Information Brochure (PDF)
- CMC Application Step-by-Step Process (PDF)
- Application for Admission - Please complete this form if you will be paying your admission fee online with a credit card.
- Application for Admission (Excel)- Please complete and mail this form along with payment if you will be paying your admission fee by check, or would like to mail your payment information in.
- Application for CMC Designation (PDF)- For more information on what this form is and why it is needed view our Document Center (PDF).
- Sample Employment Verification Letter (PDF) - A letter verifying your current position is required for certification